Start Your Own Online Chewelry Shop!
Have you ever gazed upon your recently created chewelry item and thought to yourself “Hmmm, I should totally sell this”?
Guess what? You can!
So many of our customers tell us that their friends and family immediately ask them where they got their stylish and functional teething necklaces and teething buddies from and that often, these conversations lead to encouragement to start selling their creative, handmade pieces.
For this past year, I was that person who fought back and forth with my own thoughts over whether or not to take the plunge into small business ownership. I poured over all of my favourite handmade shops, adoring their photos, eating up their witty banter and drooling over their gorgeous wares. Then one day I finally mustered up the courage to take the plunge and jump feet first into launching Chomp Chew Bead Designs. Best. Decision. Ever.
When my husband and I looked into launching Chomp Chew Bead Designs, we thoroughly researched many of the "out of the box" storefronts that were available. We even spent two whole weeks creating our shop on another website platform only to then find out that the shipping options on the site were not flexible enough to suit our customer's needs. Other websites, while aesthetically pleasing, either had high fees for listing our products, or did not allow for retail integration.
Then we found Shopify. Light bulb!!
Using Shopify to host Chomp Chew Bead Designs has been amazing. Shopify is based on the Wordpress platform, which is an incredibly easy to use blogging platform. It can be used by anyone - no fancy coding or html knowledge is needed! It is incredibly customizable and offers a huge selection of gorgeous themes and amazing apps that can help you accomplish whatever your vision is for your own online shop.
So now you're probably wondering: "Okay, how can I start my own small business website"? Don't worry, I've got you covered!
Starting an online shop is super easy. In fact, Shopify takes care of all of the hard work for you! They can take care of everything from marketing and payments, to secure checkout and shipping. This give you the time to focus on the things you love.
Here are some of my favourite things about the Shopify platform:
- It's ready to go, right out of the box! Add some photos of your wares and a few well written product descriptions and you're basically good to go!
- It's affordable! There are three different subscription tiers, the lowest of which starts at $29/month - much more reasonable than having to pay per listing like on some other sites.
- It has great payment integration. Your customers can check out using Paypal, Shopify Payments, Apple Pay, or your own customized cash on delivery options.
- Shopify has a full retail package that you can add on - amazing for those of you who may wish to attend craft fairs and tradeshows to peddle your wares.
- It's pretty. While it comes with some beautiful free themes, you can also purchase some gorgeous themes that are not only pretty, but are also loaded with powerful business tools.
- Apps, apps, apps! There are hundreds of developed apps that you can integrate with your online shop. Currently, we use apps to help us set up sales, gain valuable customer product reviews, create shipping labels and send follow up emails. If you're not sure how to make something work in your shop, there's likely an app for that!
- It easily integrates with my Facebook page and my Pinterest account so that I can sell my products directly from those sites. Awesome, right?!?
I could honestly blab on and on for days about how much I love Shopify but, don't just take my word for it - try it yourself! Any of the banners on this page will take you to your very own 14 day free trial of Shopify where you can get started with setting up your very own online shop.
By launching our own online shop, I have been able to connect with so many other amazing business owners, all while having the flexibility to adjust my schedule to meet the demands of my growing family. Having a simple to use, powerful storefront presence that offers the flexibility to meet our growing needs has been instrumental to our success and I am more than thrilled to offer up all of our own personal experiences with Shopify to you, our customers.
Try it out, let us know what you think. Establish a great web presence with your own online shop and create an incredibly easy way for customers to browse and purchase your handmade goods. I am confident that you will love it as much as we do!
Savanna & Salar ♥
Disclaimer: Some of the links above are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you choose to sign up with these links. There is no extra cost to you to sign up. I personally use all of these brands and recommend them based on my own personal experience and the trust I have in them.